Now more than ever, it’s important to know how to clean your SMART Board
surfaces and accessories?
A customer recently contacted us about the best way to keep their board clean and safe. We thought we would share the following simple How-To Guide to keep everyone safe including your SMART Board.
Before getting started, here are a few cautions you should be aware of:
- Do not use permanent or dry-erase markers on the screen. If dry-erase markers are used on the screen, remove the ink as soon as possible with a lint-free, non‑abrasive cloth.
- Do not rub the screen with dense or rough material.
- Do not apply pressure to the screen.
- Do not use cleaning solutions or glass cleaners on the screen, they can deteriorate or discolour the screen.
- Avoid touching the reflective tape between the screen and the frame and ensure that this strip stays dry. Damage to this strip affects touch interactivity.
*According to SMART, generally, it is best to use only a cloth slightly dampened with distilled water to clean your SMART Board. Never spray liquid directly onto the surface.
SMART has tested and approves the use of the following
There are directions on the SMART website about using a diluted bleach solution however, in these COVID times it is probably just as easy to use 70 – 90% isopropyl alcohol which already comes pre-diluted and requires no mixing of chemicals. For concentrations above 90%, dilute accordingly with distilled water. We recommend using a spray bottle for applying the solution to the cloth to avoid over-saturating it.
It is also recommended that you using a spray bottle for applying the solution to the cloth to avoid over-saturating it. Test a small, inconspicuous area before you clean the entire surface.
Here’s how to use the solution to disinfect the screen
- Make sure you have two lint-free, non-abrasive cloth for this procedure.
- Turn off any connected computers.
- Turn the display off. Go to https://support.smarttech.com/hardware and find your specific model for instructions.
- Wipe all surfaces with the first dry lint-free, non-abrasive cloth to remove dust and debris.
- Gently spray a small amount of the water or cleaning solution on the second cloth.
Note: Do not over-saturate the cloth to the point it is dripping.
- Wipe the screen with the dampened cloth.
- After wiping the screen, wipe off the remaining SMART Board surfaces that one normally touches, such as the frame, pens, and other accessories.
Your daily routine will probably now include cleaning and disinfecting your SMART board. If you are an educator, I’m sure that you are also restricting the students from touch the board as much and would also suggest not allowing students, especially if using a cleaning solution, to clean the boards, panels, accessories, etc. Keep the solution out of harm’s way and if you are sharing the space with other colleagues. Please share this post with them to ensure everyone understands how to keep everyone safe.
Please contact us if you have any questions [email protected] and best wishes for a safe and happy workplace!